There’s nothing like a Monday to create an inconvenient detour along the pathway to our Joy!
Is it even possible to wake up on a Monday morning with an attitude of gratitude?
This morning, I would’ve bet good money my husband tried to punk me by setting my alarm an hour early. (He didn’t. It alarmed me at exactly the same time as every other morning. I checked. He’s off the hook.)
As I was getting dressed, I discovered the socks I wanted to wear were dirty because I didn’t have time to do laundry over the weekend. (I wore dirty socks to work. They were the only pair that matched my outfit. We can keep that fun fact between us, can’t we? 😉)
Then, on the way to work, I was entirely too short for the sun visor in my car to do its job. I stretched as much as I could to be taller in my seat. It didn’t work. Not only did I end up with permanent blind spots singed into my corneas, I’m pretty sure a trip to the chiropractor is now in order. (I can hear the conversation. Doctor: How did you hurt your back? Me: I was trying to be tall. 😉 )
But the cherry on top was the spinning circle of lies taunting me from my computer screen as I tried to clock in. “Ha ha ha!” my computer laughed. “You just think I’m about to open up the time clock for you!”
It sure is easy to be negative, isn’t it?
Of course it is. Negativity is all around us. It’s in our faces, on our TVs, in our news feeds, on our social media walls.
To live a life of Thanksgiving, however, is to find the good in the midst of all that darkness, to look for the silver linings, the little things that God places right in front of us, the countless blessings that we miss because we are preoccupied with the negative.
“From his abundance we have all received one gracious blessing after another.”
John 1:16 NLT
The graces of God are all around us, too! If we fix our eyes on those blessings, I bet even our worst days can yield reasons to give thanks. And I’m sure I can find a few more blessings from this “horrible” Monday to continue my list of graces. Let’s see…
11. Waking up to another opportunity to get something right, to bless someone else, to honor my Heavenly Father (Did I make it count?)
12. Hearing my husband say, “I love you” before he leaves for work
13. Watching the yellow, orange and red leaves of the trees dance like flames of fire in the brightly shining sunlight (We have quite a talented Creator!)
14. Seeing the shadow cast by my car on the road in front of me (It reminds me of the character Shrek. The side mirrors poke out like Shrek’s ears. I know. I’m weird. Oh, well. It makes me smile. 🙂 )
15. Realizing that this is only a 3-day work week for me! WooHoo! That blessing right there can make any Monday worth enduring.
Now quit focusing on your negatives. What are the wonderfully positive blessings God has given you?